U18s Bow Out Of F.A. Youth Cup

The Youth Team’s first competitive game for the season was the F.A. Youth Cup Preliminary Round at Corinthian last Monday and we bowed out of this season’s competition following a 3-1 defeat. With a couple of the older players missing it was always going to be a tough ask but the lads kept battling hard against a decent looking Corinthian side who had had a League game the week before against Whyteleafe to help them prepare for this game.

With the pitch in its usual fantastic condition at Corinthian, our hosts made the stronger start with their two fast wingers Malizuchi Emeka and Rajan Sahni causing the Invicta defence plenty of problems, but a combination of wayward finishing and good goalkeeping by Connor Collins kept the scores level. However, after 22 minutes, the two combined as Emeka put over another good cross and Sahni finished at the far post, and although there was a suspicion of offside it was no more than our opponents deserved. The pattern continued for the remainder of the first half with Corinthian looking the more dangerous with our chances restricted to attacks on the break.

The second half continued in the same vein and after 57 minutes, Che Quartey rode a couple of tackles before slotting the ball past the oncoming Collins and a minute later our opponents added a third when Turner’s shot found its way into the back of the net despite the gallant efforts of goalkeeper Collins.

Corinthian then seemd to sit back a bit, and for the first time in the game we started applying pressure and in the 74th minute Ryan Aldritt battled through a couple of tackles and whilst his shot looked like it was going in Hector Dupree followed up and blasted it home from virtually on the goal-line, although again there was a suspicion of offside in the build-up. We then had another decent chance when Sam Cornhill slipped the ball through to Aldritt, his shot was well saved by Corinthian goalkeeper Bradley Smith, who then got up to also save Aldritt’s second attempt. Had that gone in, 3-2 with ten minutes to go may have seen an interesting finish, but it wasn’t to be although it seemed to shake Corinthian a bit as they picked up bookings for Luke Exall and Tom Tippett.

That was the end of the action and the Invicta lads should be congratulated for the way they got back into the game in the second half, and good luck to Corinthian in their game at Ramsgate, who beat Crowborough Athletic 3-0, in the next round.

Tonight’s Teams; 

Corinthian; Bradley Smith, Clayman Waterman (Che Quartey, 46 mins), Fraser Mason, Jack Wilkins, Luke Exall (Captain), Tom Tippett, Malizuchi Emeka (Rohan O’Shea, 56 mins), Charlie Thomas, Dillon Binal, Marc Turner & Rajan Sahni (Arjun Mashail, 62 mins), (Unused Sub; Joe-Paul Kwaramba).

Goalscorers - Rajan Sahni (22 mins), Che Quarty (57 mins) & Marc Turner (58 mins).

Folkestone Invicta; Connor Collins, Chris Calthorpe, Josh Williams, Jack Cornhill (Raz Rai, 46 mins), Joss Wickham, Shaun Ikwuagua, Lewis Creed, Hector Dupree, Ryan Aldritt, Dale Grant (Captain) (Sam Cornhill, 76 mins) & Jacob Emery, (Unused Subs; Sonny Davies & Lucas Wade).


Goalscorers - Ryan Aldritt (74 mins).


The attendance was 74, thanks to all those that travelled from Folkestone to support the team.